Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Unified Noah land-surface model with em_les in WRF 4.2.1

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

Xiaoxingyun

Dear all,

I can successfully run the official em_les test, which uses no land surface physics scheme. Besides, I can also successfully run the em_les with the thermal diffusion scheme, by just changing 2 values in the official namelist: sf_surface_physics=1 and num_soil_layers=5.

I mainly hope to run em_les ideal case with the Unified Noah land-surface model. I just changed 2 values in the original namelist: sf_surface_physics=2 and num_soil_layers=4 in WRF 4.2.1. But I get the following error: "forrtl: severe (66): output statement overflows record, unit -5, file Internal List-Directed Write", as shown in the figure 1.figure 1.png

I also tested other 2 land surface schemes, RUC (sf_surface_physics=3 and num_soil_layers=6) and CLM4 (sf_surface_physics=5 and num_soil_layers=10), and I get the following error for these 2 schemes, "module_sf_ruclsm.F: lsminit: out of range value of ISLTYP. Is this field in the input?" As shown in the figure 2 and 3.figure 2.jpg figure 3.jpg

I think this problem about ISLTYP is because the ISLTYP is 0 in the wrfinput_d01 file. So I modified ISLTYP=4 in the wrfinput_d01 by matlab, but then the wrfinput_d01 would have the NetCDF problem, as shown in the figure 4. figure 4.jpg

My main point is to run em_les with Noah scheme. Does anyone know how to solve the problem?
Many thanks in advance!

This is a complicated issue that may involve lots of coding work.
The ideal LES case is designed to run in a free convective boundary layer. Surface heat flux is specified and spatially-temporally homogeneous. To run with Noah, I suppose full physics needs to be activated. This will turn the case into a real-data LES case. If you just turn on Noah but not employ the full physics, then my question is: how can you make Noah run in a physically reasonable mode?

Ming Chen said:
The ideal LES case is designed to run in a free convective boundary layer. Surface heat flux is specified and spatially-temporally homogeneous. To run with Noah, I suppose full physics needs to be activated. This will turn the case into a real-data LES case. If you just turn on Noah but not employ the full physics, then my question is: how can you make Noah run in a physically reasonable mode?

Thank you for your reply!
The problem is solved by using WRF3.5.1. But I have no idea why WRF 4.2.1 cannot change the values.

I hope to use the Unified Noah scheme in the wrf ideal case with an idealized initial profile in the input_sounding. But I do not know where and how to set the land use data(for example, LU_INDEX) so that I can correctly use the Noah scheme (Maybe it is in the module_initialize_ideal.F? But I am not sure which variables are lu_index.) in the ideal case.
After the Noah scheme can be correctly used, I will add other necessary physics schemes. Thank you very much for your explanation!

Ming Chen said:

Hi Ming,

Thank you for your reply. How should I deal with tke_heat_flux when I use Noah scheme? I am wondering if it should be moved out from namelist.input or not?

This is not a simple issue that only involves tke_heat_flux. Once you turn on Noah, You will need other physics like radiation to be activated. As I have mentioned earlier, the case would become more or less a real-data LES case.

Ming Chen said:
This is not a simple issue that only involves tke_heat_flux. Once you turn on Noah, You will need other physics like radiation to be activated. As I have mentioned earlier, the case would become more or less a real-data LES case.

Thank you!
Does it mean that I may not use the ideal initial profile to run a real-data LES case?

No, you cannot. ideal case and real-data case are quite different and they are not replaceable to each other.