Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Two gas constants in WRF-LES

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

chench

Hi group,

I just recently start using WRF-LES to study buoyant plumes, so I think it is an ideal case.

To study buoyant plumes, we set up a heat-flux from z=0 entering the domains. But the inflow gas has gas constant R=488.92 which is not air, and I think the ambient in the domain is air with R_air=288. So I am wondering what are the physical mechanisms between the inflow and the ambient air?

What is the inflow gas being treated, a new second species, a passive scalar or still just air? Or what happen when the inflow mixes with the air? What R should I use for post-processing?

The input file is attached, our team made some changes to the code so the input file may have additional inputs. I just start learning WRF and I used to develop inhouse DNS.

Attachments

• namelist.input
    5.7 KB · Views: 42
Is this a standard WRF-LES? Where did you set R=488.92? I also find some namelist options that don't exist in standard WRF.
I guess you are not running the standard WRF-LES. Please let me know if I am wrong.

Thanks for following up Ming. One of our team members add change the codes so the input file looks a bit different. However, I just want to know if the inflow set with a different gas constant how does WRF-LES calculate the physical properties like viscosity? Thanks.

The standard code does not have two gases or this plume option.
My guess is that this constant is used only in the density calculation and that this
gas is added as a tracer or scalar. SO it shouldn't affect viscosity, etc.