Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

HPC requirements

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

gislita

Dear forum,
I was wondering if I can get some help/guidance in the definition of HPC requirements (mainly in terms of tflops required, but also some other recommendations are welcome) for an operational WRF model. I have been trying to get information through several sources with limited success. I was wondering if somebody can help me and/or point in the right direction for this so I can find the right requirements. The idea is to run the following operational models with WRF:
- One 7km grid (approximately 1400km by 700km).
- One 2km grid (approximately 700km by 400km nested to the previous one)
- Two 0.5km grid (approximately 300km by 150km nested to the previous one)
Forecast for 5-7 days. Ideally these grids should be run operationally in less than 3 hours. Any help or guidance would be highly appreciated.
Thanks!

Hi,
Each type of simulation is different from another, even when several factors are the same. The compiler, handware, number of processors, physics specifics, domain size, input data resolution, dynamical options, and even background running programs can make a significant difference. Therefore it's very hard to provide sound recommendations. Take a look at this FAQ post to see if it's helpful at all:
https://forum.mmm.ucar.edu/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=70&p=229#p229