Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Using multiple Nodes with mpirun -np 16 ./wrf.exe command

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

linlu9876

Dear All,

I am a new user of WRF-chem model and currently exploring the computational feasibility of my simulations.
I have the following queries about running the model on an HPC cluster and I will be very thankful if you can help me.

1. Is it possible to run WRF-chem with multiple nodes as in
Code:
mpirun -np 48 -N 24 ./wrf.exe
Note- I have complied chem code using dmpar mode
I tried the above and it gave me error.

2. Do I need to also specify memory used for the node for running the model????

3. How can I optimize the model while compiling and configuring the wrf-chem code?

Please help!

Thanks
Lin

Lin,
Please see my answers below to your questions:
(1) You need to run WRF with multiple nodes, i.e.,
mpirun -n 24 ./wrf.exe
Please consult your computer manage fr correct command stye (different machines might be different)
(2) You don't need to specify memory for each node
(3) You can always compile WRF in damper mode. As for the optimization of the model run, usually we recommend each processor cover about 20-30 grids. Note that more processors don't necessarily mean faster running speed, because the communication between processors does take time.

If you have questions related to wrf-chem in the future, please post to the chemistry forum.