Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

(RESOLVED) WRF Performance on Multicore processor

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

jozamm

Hi all,

I am running WRF on a 6 core machine Core i7 (12 with hyperthreading). I was expecting that when running wrf, the CPU utilization would rise to 80%to 100% per core. However only one core rises up to 100% and the rets of the cores stay at around 10-20%. RAM is not an issue as the machine has 64Gb available the model is using 4Gb of RAM.

Wrf has been compiled with the smpar option. it is running correctly, but I wish to utilize the total power of the PC as the model is refined and add nested domains.

Attached is the namelist.input file

Thanks a lot for the help,

Joseph

Attachments

• namelist.input
    3.7 KB · Views: 53
Hi Joseph,
Have you tried with the distributed-memory option (dmpar) to see if you get better results?

Hi,

Thanks a lot,

I will try to recompile for dmpar.

When I compiled for smpar+dmpar wrf.exe was crashing at the 1st timestep. Should I recompile all libraries according to this webpage https://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/OnLineTutorial/compilation_tutorial.php#STEP2 instead of downloading them. Ubuntu 20.10 is being used.

Joseph

If you are able to compile successfully, then the libraries should be fine. We don't recommend using dm+sm, as it can cause many problems, such as the one you're seeing. Let me know how the dmpar compile works for your simulations.

Hi,

I recompiled using the dmpar option and all the processors are being utilized.

thanks for all the help,

Joseph