Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

RE: How can I extract the Topography Map from WRF Output file to be used in WAsP

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

Hi,

I wish to couple high-resolution WRF wind data at 1 km x 1 km grid resolution into WAsP for micro siting.

How can I extract the topography map from the WRF file which I can use in WAsP to remove the effects of the mesoscale topography via the generalization method and then later use high-resolution topography maps for micro-siting etc.

Appreciate your assistance and advice.

Regards
Kunal

Hi Ming,

I mean how can I extract the WRF topography map from the WRF output file in a .map format so that I can use it into WAsP.

Appreciate your assistance and advice.

Regards
Kunal

Kunal,
wrfout files are written in NetCDF format. I guess you need to read HGT from wrfout, then write it to .map format. Unfortunately we don't know much of the .map format. Hope you can find helpful information somewhere else.