Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Time dimension length zero in wrfout

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

jsillin

Hello,
I have needed to make some modifications to my iofields so I only write the data I need and can get output to write without exceeding the 32 bit overflow limit.

Currently, my iofields specification file looks like:
Code:
-:h:0:sst_input,sst,lakemask,landmask,sr,snowc,aclhf,achfx,lh,qfx,hfx,pblh,ust,xland,tmn,noahres,emiss,albbck,albedo,olr,lwdnb,lwdnbc,lwupbc,lwupb,lwdntc,lwdnt,lwuptc,lwupt,swdnbc,swdnb,swupbc,swupb,swdntc,swdnt,swuptc,swupt,aclwdnbc,aclwdnb,aclwupbc
-:h:0:aclwupb,aclwdntc,aclwdnt,aclwuptc,aclwupt,acswdnbc,acswdnb,acswupbc,acswupb,acswdntc,acswdnt,acswupt,acswuptc,swnorm,glw,swdown,coszen,sstsk,snowh,snow,acsnom,acgrdflx,grdflx,vegfra,isltyp,udroff,sroff,xicem,seaice,smcrel,sh2o,smois,tslb,snoalb
-:h:0:shdmin,shdmax,tsk_force_tend,lh_force_tend,tsk_force,lh_force,hfx_force,dzs,zs

The wrfout files now write successfully, and are of an appropriate size (14GB for two output times). The data seem to have been written.

However, when I go to peruse the data, I see
Code:
<xarray.Dataset>
Dimensions:                (Time: 0, bottom_top: 299, bottom_top_stag: 300, seed_dim_stag: 2, south_north: 1101, south_north_stag: 1102, west_east: 1101, west_east_stag: 1102)

This Time:0 is a rather significant problem because it prohibits WRF-Python and VAPOR from reading these files.

So my question is: how can I get WRF to write to the time dimension? I've completed many successful runs and have only changed this iofields specification (I think... have also done some stuff with I/O quilting but I don't think this would be a problem).

For reference, the relevant portion of my namelist.input time_control section is:
Code:
 history_interval                    = 180,  15,  15,   1,
 frames_per_outfile                  = 1000, 12,  12,  2,
 restart                             = .true.,
 restart_interval                    = 60,
 io_form_history                     = 2,
 io_form_restart                     = 102,
 io_form_input                       = 2,
 io_form_boundary                    = 2,
 history_begin_h = 1,1,1,1,
 iofields_filename="outfields.txt","outfields.txt","outfields.txt","outfields.txt",
 nocolons=.false.

Thanks for any tips you might be able to provide.
Best,
Jack

Hi Jack,
First I'd like to ask if it's necessary for you to set frames_per_outfile = 1000. If you set this smaller, would your files be able to write out without exceeding their limit?