Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

WRF outputs for albedo, emissivity, heat capacity, etc

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

lslrsgis

Dear WRF community,

I can identify albedo as ALBBCK, emissivity as EMISS and roughness length as ZNT in wrfout_d0*. Where can I find surface heat capacity, soil moisture availability, thermal inertia outputs from WRF simulation? (Of course they are defined in LANDUSE.TBL, but can I output them to files?)

Hi,
All available variables are listed in the Registry/Registry.EM_COMMON file. I think (maybe) these are the variables you are looking for:

SMOIS - soil moisture - this should already be output as a 3d variable
CAPG - heat capacity for soil
THC - thermal inertia

The second two (CAPG & THC) are not automatically output. If you take a look at the line for THC, for e.g.,
Code:
state    real  THC              ij      misc        1         -      r        "THC"                   "THERMAL INERTIA"                              "Cal cm-2 K-1 s-0.5"
the I/O column only has an "r," meaning it's output to restart files only. You can add an "h" to column so that it reads
Code:
state    real  THC              ij      misc        1         -      rh        "THC"                   "THERMAL INERTIA"                              "Cal cm-2 K-1 s-0.5"
and then you can do the same for CAPG. If you do this, you'll need to clean -a, reconfigure, and recompile the code. There is another option for outputting variables, without having to recompile. You can read about that in this section of the Users Guide.