Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

output_diagnostics=1, T2MIN and T2MAX incorrect

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

Shubhi

Hi WRF team,

I am using output_diagnostics = 1 option in WRF 3.9.1 to save T2MIN and T2MAX fields. I get an additional output file 'wrfxtrm_d<domain>_<date>' with all the T2, Q2, TSK, etc. variables. However, the range of T2MIN and T2MAX variables seems to be wrong. For example, T2MIN range from -152 K to 22 K. How are t2min and t2max values calculated in the output_diagnostics and are they anomalies?

Following is the relevant part of the namelist input file-

output_diagnostics = 1
auxhist3_outname = "wrfxtrm_d<domain>_<date>",
auxhist3_interval = 1440,
frames_per_auxhist3 = 1,
io_form_auxhist3 = 2

Thank you,
Shubhi

Hi Shubhi,
If you are interested in the code that performs these calculations, you can take a look in phys/module_diag_cl.F. The t2min and t2max variables are called t2clmin and t2clmax in that file. There have been a few changes to the code since V3.9.1, so I'm curious whether using an updated version would make any difference to your simulation results. Do you mind trying the latest version of WRF (V4.3) to see if the results differ? Thanks!