Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Add a water source to a WRF model run

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

james_lab

Hi everyone,
I hope I picked the right section.
I am a newbie of WRF so my questions might be pretty basic.
I would like to run a simulation over a small area of the ocean where a cloud machine is present.
My questions are:
- how do I feed to the WRF the information the cloud machine is putting water into the atmosphere?
- is it possible to run a simulation with a 100 meters resolution? this would be in a small domain (10km^2). How do I estimate the computational cost of such a simulation?

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Hi,
Please see my answers below:

- how do I feed to the WRF the information the cloud machine is putting water into the atmosphere?
Unfortunately I don't have an answer to your question. You may post this question to WRFDA. Data assimilation ingests observations into WRF, and I suppose this could be a similar issue. You probably can put cloud water to WRF using a method similar to WRFDA. I am not 100% sure. Please talk to DA people and see whether they have any suggestions.

- is it possible to run a simulation with a 100 meters resolution? this would be in a small domain (10km^2). How do I estimate the computational cost of such a simulation?
WRF is able to run at 100m resolution. Note that this should be a large eddy case (LES) and PBL scheme should be turned off. The commutation cost depends on your domain size and it could be expensive because of small time step.