Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

NOAHMP.TBL LAI

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

YiannisS

Hi,

I am running Noah-MP and I would like to know about the origin of the LAI index values in table NOAHMP.TBL?

There is a header in this table that the parameters are for the USGS land use vegetation categories. But does anyone know if these LAI values were obtained from ground measurements for a specific region or if they were obtained and averaged from satellite data?

These are vegetation specific values and are specific for each month.

Yiannis

Attachments

• MPTABLE.TBL
    35.9 KB · Views: 34
Yiannis,
As far as I know, the LAI values in NOAHMP.TBL are determined from limited in-situ observations. I am not sure whether they are combined with satellite observations. The developers provide us the NOAHMP.TBL and we just use it as is. Probably you can try to find more information in the literature.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any relevant information in the literature, because probably the origin of these LAI values has not been well documented.

Thank you!

Hi,

Please take a look at this paper:

Niu, Guo–Yue, Zong–Liang Yang, Kenneth E. Mitchell, Fei Chen, Michael B. Ek, Michael Barlage, Anil Kumar, Kevin Manning, Dev Niyogi, Enrique Rosero, Mukul Tewari, Youlong Xia, 2011: The community Noah land surface model with multiparameterization options (Noah–MP): 1. Model description and evaluation with local–scale measurements. J. Geophys. Res., 116, D12109.
https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1029/2010JD015139

Probably you can contact the author and ask for more information.