Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

How to extract land points only from wrfout files

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

katierobinson

Hi,

I am running a 10-year WRF simulation over a domain that includes both land and ocean. For my analysis I want to consider only the land points (for example, when extracting the variable T2 I want to only extract T2 points over land).

Is there a way to extract land points only from the wrfout and wrfxtrm files? I am familiar with cdo but haven't been able to find the right operation to do this. Any suggestions would be appreciated! I am fairly new to using WRF :)

Thanks.

The variable "landsea" is included i wrfout. This variable indicates whether the model point is land(=1) or water(=0). You can use this variable to mask out water point.

Hi Ming,

I am trying to use the variable landsea to mask out water points but I am not sure how to do so such that the water points for all other variables (such as T2) is masked out as well. Any tips?

Thanks.

Would you please post the command you use, just in case someone else may want to do the same/similar ? Thanks in advance.

Yes of course,

the commands I used are:

cdo selvar,LANDMASK wrfout.nc landmask.nc
cdo ifthen landmask.nc wrfout.nc wrfout_no_ocean.nc

this should produce a file of wrf output that only includes the land points!

Thanks.