Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

wrf_user_interp_level function produces some high values (1E36)

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

Ummul1901

Hello everyone,

I have been trying to use 'wrf_user_interp_level' to extract a few variables such as vertical wind velocity, QVAPOR and relative humidity in different pressure levels (850, 700 and 500 hPa levels). When I tried to extract vertical wind velocity and QVAPOR at every level, I found '9.97E+36' value at multiple different points for the specific event. But relative humidity provides normal values (between 0 to 100).

It seems to me that the interp function is using '9.97E+36' as FillValue or missing value alternatives. My concern is why I am getting missing values for wind and QVAPOR at such a high level (500hPa)? In addition, if the specific vertical level is not present, aren't we supposed to get a missing value for relative humidity as well?

Thank you for your help.
Ummul