Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Error compiling RIP

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

midhunmachary

:| I was trying to compile RIP for the post processing of WRF output. While compilation I got the following error. Please help me to rectify this error.

/home/curaj-gis/Build_WRF/LIBRARIES/netcdf/lib/libnetcdff.a(fort-varaio.o): In function `nf_put_vara_':
/home/curaj-gis/Build_WRF/LIBRARIES/netcdf-4.1.3/fortran/fort-varaio.c:160: undefined reference to `nc_put_vara'
/home/curaj-gis/Build_WRF/LIBRARIES/netcdf/lib/libnetcdff.a(fort-varaio.o): In function `nf_get_vara_':
/home/curaj-gis/Build_WRF/LIBRARIES/netcdf-4.1.3/fortran/fort-varaio.c:163: undefined reference to `nc_get_vara'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
Makefile:64: recipe for target 'ripdp_wrfnmm' failed
make: [ripdp_wrfnmm] Error 1 (ignored)
gfortran -I. -fcray-pointer -fconvert=big-endian -frecord-marker=4 -fPIC -fno-second-underscore -fno-range-check -O -o ripcut ripcut.f
gfortran -I. -fcray-pointer -fconvert=big-endian -frecord-marker=4 -fPIC -fno-second-underscore -fno-range-check -O -o ripinterp ripinterp.f
gfortran -I. -fcray-pointer -fconvert=big-endian -frecord-marker=4 -fPIC -fno-second-underscore -fno-range-check -O -o ripshow ripshow.f
gfortran -I. -fcray-pointer -fconvert=big-endian -frecord-marker=4 -fPIC -fno-second-underscore -fno-range-check -O -o showtraj showtraj.f
gfortran -I. -fcray-pointer -fconvert=big-endian -frecord-marker=4 -fPIC -fno-second-underscore -fno-range-check -O -o tabdiag tabdiag.f lennonblank.f
gfortran -I. -fcray-pointer -fconvert=big-endian -frecord-marker=4 -fPIC -fno-second-underscore -fno-range-check -O -o upscale upscale.f

Thanks & Regards,
Midhun M Achary
Department of Atmospheric Science
Central University of Rajasthan
India

This topic has been moved from the MPAS-specific post-processing section, and into the section for RIP questions. Someone will reply to your question soon.

Midhun,

I hope you've found a solution by now but if not - it just sounds like the proper NetCDF library path is not set in the build file for RIP.
Assuming you already did configure for RIP, you should double-check that the path to your netcdf library is correct.

Messages like "undefined reference to `nc_some_routine_name_here` usually means a problem at the last (Link) stage of building RIP and has nothing to do with RIP itself, just with the libraries built with it. If you cannot find the problem, you might post a list of what your NetCDF library contains (e.g. "ls $NETCDF", perhaps) as well as the contents of your configure.rip file.