Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

ERROR 7 IN AREDAM - AREA-MAP ARRAY OVERFLOW

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

domagojp

Hi,

I am trying to plot PBLH in feet by modifying ripdp_wrfarw.f to read in PBLH and convert and output in feet:

c
c Get PBL height (PBLH), and convert to feet
c
nf_status = nf_inq_varid (ncid, 'PBLH', varid)
if ( nf_status .ne. 0 ) then ! we have PBLH?
nf_status = nf_inq_varid (ncid, 'PBLH', varid)
endif
call handle_err(777.,nf_status)
iprocvarid(varid)=1
nf_status = nf_get_vara_real (ncid, varid, nf_tstart2,
& nf_tcount2, nf_tarr2)
call handle_err(778.,nf_status)
do j=1,mjx-1
do i=1,miy-1
pblh(i,j)=nf_tarr2(j,i)*3.28
enddo
enddo
plchun='ft'
vardesc='PBL height, ft'
call writefile_rdp(pblh,'pblh ',2,1,vardesc,plchun,
& fname,iendf1,ihrip,rhrip,chrip,iexpanded,
& iexpandedout,ioffexp,joffexp,miy,mjx,mkzh_out)

Ripdp runs fine and creates the *.pblh files but when I try plotting them with rip I get this error:
ERROR 7 IN AREDAM - AREA-MAP ARRAY OVERFLOW

which indicates problem in arinam function. I tried increasing niam and ncs all the way to 3000000 in driver.f but still get the same error.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Domagoj

You made the changes that ought to have taken care of it, but a very noisy field would seem to be the source - or some issue with unrecognized missing values. I would try a contour plot without colorfill first, and I usually do so by plotting with no "cint" specified, so that RIP would choose. Then examine the resulting plot to see why there are so many attempted contours that is causing the problem. AREA-MAP overflow is always a symptom of something that requires a bit more inspection.