Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Inquiry on WRF-RIP4

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

kshtngus12

Hello there,

I have a question on a subroutine 'condheat.f'.

According to a RIP manual, final output for this subroutine stands for 'temperature change due to condensation'.
In the code, this term is calculated using 'vertical velocity' and 'difference between real lapse rate [g/cpm; cpm is calculated using cpd (specific heat of dry air) and water vapor mixing ratio (qv)] and pseudo-adiabatic lapse rate'.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
description:
condheat, condheati: Diagnosed condensational heating, K h-1. (3D)
condheat calculates the heating due to condensation in regions of explicitly
resolved saturated ascent. condheati does the same, except it adds in the latent
heat of fusion in regions that are below freezing.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Considering that the pseudo-adiabatic lapse rate is related to a temperature change assuming that the moist-related particles (or cloud droplet) come to the surrounding from the system, this difference between two terms might be the condensation for a process from cloud droplet to rain.
If I understood the purpose of this code, correctly, I have a question on this code.
In a formulation in RIP4 code (condheat.f), two lapse rates are calculated for the same time step.
However, I think the first lapse rate (real lapse rate) calculation might be needed to done at the previous time step (e.g., 0000 UTC) and the pseudo-adiabatic lapse rate calculation is done at the next time step (e.g., 0100 UTC).

For the above-mentioned aspect, can you give me any advice or additional reference (instead of Stoelinga 2009)?

Hi,
In reviewing forum posts today, I found this post that was apparently overlooked. I first would like to apologize for the long delay in response. It is never our intention to overlook posts. As it has been so long since you posted, I would like to ask if you're still struggling with this. As for a reference, an updated version of the one you mention is available (updated Jan 2018), but that is the best we have for the program.