Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

(RESOLVED) Ripdp problem reading multiple wrfout files

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

mjonas

Dear WRF & MPAS-A Support community,

I've successfully run WRF and now I want to analyze the results with RIP4.
I have hourly output from July 1st 2015 until August 31st 2015. I've tried to first run ripdp_wrfarw for the first WRF output (wrfout_d01_2015-06-01_00:00:00) only.
When I then run rip, it works perfectly.
However, when I run ripdp_wrfarw for any other output file (e.g. wrfout_d01_2015-06-01_01:00:00), I get the following message:

Welcome to your friendly RIP (V4.7) output file !
Color Names and Fractions Defined
Get header info.
Note: RIP will plot all available times.
Model Info: V3.9.1.1 CU: G-F Ens MP: PBL: MYJ SF:
9.0 km 60 levels 36 sec
DIFF: simple KM: 2D Smagor DAMP: Ra
yleigh3 SFLAY: Eta
GKS ERROR NUMBER 7 ISSUED FROM SUBROUTINE GCLWK :
--GKS NOT IN PROPER STATE: GKS SHALL BE IN ONEOF THE STATES WSOP, WSAC, OR SGOP
GKS ERROR NUMBER 2 ISSUED FROM SUBROUTINE GCLKS :
--GKS NOT IN PROPER STATE: GKS SHALL BE IN STATE GKOP

====================================
We're outta here like Vladimir !!

I have found other people with similar problems online, but I have not been able to find a clear solution to this problem.
Can anyone help me out with this?

Kind Regards
Jonas

Hi,

I use ./ripdp_wrfarw ripdp_wrfarw_sample.in RIP_data/myCase all wrfout_d01_2015-06-01_00:00:00
for the first file. To get another file, I just change the filename 'wrfout_d01_2015-06-01_00:00:00' to the date I want.

Hi,
Thanks!

1) Given this command, I assume your wrfout* files are in your top-level RIP directory? If so, can you do a listing of your wrfout* files and send me the output?
Code:
ls -ls wrfout* >& ls.txt
2) Can you also attach the ripdp_wrfarw_sample.in file you're using? I assume this is also in your top-level RIP directory?

Hi,

Here are the two files. The ripdp_wrfarw_sample.in file was indeed also in my top-level RIP directory.

Attachments

• ls.txt
    640.7 KB · Views: 54
  • ripdp_wrfarw_sample.in.txt
    96 bytes · Views: 57
Hi,
I would like to apologize for the delay. I was out of the office last week and am trying to get caught up now. Thank you for your patience.

I believe the problem is that in your *.in file, you are requesting hours 0 to 72, with 1 hour increments:
Code:
ptimes=0,-72,1
but you said that you're only calling each wrfout* file individually, per command issue. I believe you should either change the ptimes value to something like
Code:
ptimes=0,-1,1
or you should just ask for all of the wrfout files together:
Code:
/ripdp_wrfarw ripdp_wrfarw_sample.in RIP_data/myCase all wrfout_d01*

Hi,

I have tried the things you mentioned, but I still get the same error.
I've tried both the 0,1,-1 with just one file and with all files, but I still get the same message:

Welcome to your friendly RIP (V4.7) output file !
Color Names and Fractions Defined
Get header info.
Note: RIP will plot all available times.
Model Info: V3.9.1.1 CU: G-F Ens MP: PBL: MYJ SF:
9.0 km 60 levels 36 sec
DIFF: simple KM: 2D Smagor DAMP: Ra
yleigh3 SFLAY: Eta
GKS ERROR NUMBER 7 ISSUED FROM SUBROUTINE GCLWK :
--GKS NOT IN PROPER STATE: GKS SHALL BE IN ONEOF THE STATES WSOP, WSAC, OR SGOP
GKS ERROR NUMBER 2 ISSUED FROM SUBROUTINE GCLKS :
--GKS NOT IN PROPER STATE: GKS SHALL BE IN STATE GKOP

We're outta here like Vladimir !!

Thanks for trying that. Can you try to run ripdp_wrfarw without using the *.in file with it - just to compute all the variables in the files? It shouldn't take TOO much longer, and let me know if you get the same thing. Thanks!

Hi,
I've tried the following: ./ripdp_wrfarw RIP_data/myCase all wrfout_d02*
so to load all files for domain 2.
I keep getting the message 'segmentation fault'.
Cheers

Thanks for doing that.
1) Can you check your disk space to make sure there is enough space available to write the files (this is different than memory)?
2) If you have room, can you try the same command, but try to link it to only a single wrfout* file?

Hi,

I've checked the available storage and it was more than enough. I then tried to run it again one file at a time and it worked.
I've tried to run all files of one day and it worked as well, so I think the problem is solved.

Thank you very much for your patience and help with this!

Best Regards
Jonas

Jonas,
That is really great to hear. I'm still confused about why it wouldn't allow you to run more than a single file at one time, but I'm glad you have a workaround for now. Thanks for letting me know.