Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

question about snow in WRF

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

pengyuan

Dear Sir/Madam,
I am using WRFv3.5.1 to simulate snow storm.
The observation about a snow storm is 20 mm, which is accumulated total snow during a period.
I want to know which variable about snow should be used for denoting the observation.
I use ARWpost to process wrfout*.nc files to GrADS format.
I am wondering which variable in the *ctl file should be used for representing snow mentioned above.
Best,
Pengyuan

Hi Pengyuan,
Unfortunately there is not a built-in snow accumulation function in ARWpost. You may need to create one for this, and can possible follow the precipitation accumulation script (rain.gs). You will first need to make sure that you are outputting snow accumulation to your wrfout* (history) files when running WRF. You can probably use the variable ACSNOW, but you will need to turn it on, as the registry file does not have it automatically output. There are 2 ways to turn it on:
1) Modify the WRF/Registry/Registry.EM_COMMON file. In this line:
Code:
state    real   ACSNOW           ij     misc        1         -      rd=(interp_mask_field:lu_index,iswater)u=(copy_fcnm)       "ACSNOW"           "ACCUMULATED SNOW"         "kg m-2"

You'll need to add an 'h' for 'history in the I/O column, so that it reads:
Code:
state    real   ACSNOW           ij     misc        1         -      rhd=(interp_mask_field:lu_index,iswater)u=(copy_fcnm)       "ACSNOW"           "ACCUMULATED SNOW"         "kg m-2"

The downfall with this option is that you will have to clean, reconfigure, and recompile the model.

2) A simpler option may be to use the Runtime I/O option. You can read more about that here:
http://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/users/docs/user_guide_v4/v4.0/users_guide_chap5.html#runtimeio

Hi, Kwerner
Can you do me a favor ? put a rain.gs file for refrence.
I do not have that gs script.
Thanks in advance.
Pengyuan

Pengyuan,
Sure! I'm attaching it. Just for reference, these scripts can be found in the ARWpost/scripts/ directory.

Attachments

• rain.gs
    904 bytes · Views: 91