Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Fortran runtime error: Write exceeds length of DIRECT access record

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

ecolcsu

Hi,
I am using WRF v4.0. After getting the geo_em.d01.nc and and other domains from geogrid.exe, I want to convert it to .ctl and .dat for post-processing in GRADS. But ARWpost gives the following error:
At line 396 of file output_module.f (unit = 11, file = ‘./geo_em.d01.dat’)
Fortran runtime error: Write exceeds length of DIRECT access record

Wherein the *.dat file is generated normally and *.ctl is 0
Please, help me in resolving the issue
Olga

Hi Olga,
I am seeing the same problem as you with geo_em* files. I, personally, have never tried running ARWpost for any output except wrfout* history files. I do see, however, that the Users' Guide says it should be compatible with geo_em* files. It may take a bit of time to track this down, unfortunately. The ARWpost code has not been updated in nearly 10 years. Is there another program you could use to plot the geogrid output?

Thanks for the answer,
I use ARWpost for visualize the right location of my domains because on our supercomputer system ncl (ncl util/plotgrids.ncl) doesn’t work
Olga