Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

WRF_INTERP problem

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

viliam_wrf

Hi, I have problem with wrf_interp with the new version of GFS real data.

The data are not interpolated and the mensage is segmentation fault (core dumped). Have you any idea about this problem?

Regards.

Hi,
1) I assume, but just want to verify that you have used this utility with older GFS data, without any problems?
2) I also assume, but must verify, that when you say the 'GFS real data' you mean wrfout* files that were generated using input data from the newer GFS?
3) Can you attach your namelist.vinterp file, as well as the full output log file?

Thanks!

Hi

1) I assume, but just want to verify that you have used this utility with older GFS data, without any problems? Yes
2) I also assume, but must verify, that when you say the 'GFS real data' you mean wrfout* files that were generated using input data from the newer GFS? Yes
3) Can you attach your namelist.vinterp file, as well as the full output log file?
&io
path_to_input = '/home/viliam/Build_WRF/WRF_INTERP/'
path_to_output = '/home/viliam/Build_WRF/WRF_INTERP/'
root_name = 'wrfout'
grid_id = 1
start_date = '2019-07-31_12'
leap_year = .TRUE.
debug = .FALSE.
/

&interp_in
interp_levels = 1000.,975.,950.,925.,
extrapolate = 1
unstagger_grid = .TRUE.
vert_coordinate = 'pres'
/

Hi,
I tried this with the new GFS data, and your namelist, and it seems to work without problems for me. One thing I notice is that you have both the "path_to_input" and the "path_to_output" set to the same location. The README file indicates that you shouldn't do this as the program will overwrite your original file and if you try to run this again, the wrfout* file will already be interpolated and will provide an error. Another think I noticed is that you have "leap_year" set to true, but 2019 is not a leap year. Perhaps neither of those issues are related to the problem you are getting, but you should try modifying your namelist.vinterp file to be correct and then run again to make sure. You will need to recreate your wrfout* files, as you possibly have overwritten the original ones. When you run the program, please send the error and output to a log file, so that you can attach that file if you still get an error. For e.g.,
Code:
./wrf_interp.exe >& interp.out