Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Unable to Enter the System after Compiling WRF

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

Yang_7Ke

Hello

I want to install WRF in my computer with Ubuntu 19.04 system.

After I finished compilation of WRF, I restart the computer. And then I clicked the Ubuntu in the GRUB page(there is also a WIN10 system in my computer) . Unfortunately, the screen first goes purple, then goes black, and black remained unchanged.

I have reinstalled the Ubuntu 19.04 system many times. One thing is for sure, that Compiling WRF caused me unable to enter system. Because I can enter system without compiling WRF.

Do you have any idea about this?

Yang

Hi,
Unfortunately we aren't able to help with this. Although compiling the WRF code may have caused something to go wrong with your computer, it's not something that the WRF code should do, and is likely related to your particular system/environment. I'd suggest talking to the systems administrator at your institution to try to get this problem resolved.

Finally, I figured out this problem.

When compiling zlib library, I got several errors that's "permission denied". I take it that I need a root permission.
Then I changed execution statement like "sudo make install", instead of "make install"
Good news is that I finished all compilation of Library.
Bad news is that I can't enter the system after shutdown.

The solution to this problem is to delete two files created by "sudo" after you finished compiling library,
that execution statements are:
sudo rm /usr/local/lib/libz.so.1.2.7 &&\
sudo rm /usr/local/lib/libz.a
And deleting two files above, you can also passed the Library Compatibility Tests.

BUT, you may not compile WPS successfully later, execute follow statement will fix it:
sudo apt-get install zlib1g-dev

I hope I can help someone by this reply

Hi,
Thank you so much for posting the update to that problem! We greatly appreciate feedback like this to hopefully help future users of the model. I'm glad you solved your problem and are able to move forward.