Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Height in timeseries

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

neel14

Hi,
I have confusion regarding the height levels of the vertical profiles from tslist.

I have a station with elevation of 46.7 m as shown in timeseries output. From the vertical profile data, I also get the geopotential height for the first level as 46.7 m. Since geopotential height is defined at the grid centres, shouldn't its value have been more than 46.7? Otherwise it means it's coinciding with the surface..

Kindly help me in understanding this.
Regards
Neeldip

As it is now in the code, the geopotential height is at model full levels, which means that the first level is at the surface. This will change since version 4.2, to be released later in April.

weiwang said:
As it is now in the code, the geopotential height is at model full levels, which means that the first level is at the surface. This will change since version 4.2, to be released later in April.

Thanks for sharing!