Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

simulation or forecasting

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

Let say, I want to run wrf for 72 hour (From 17.05.2020 to 19.05.2020)
For that I have taken 72 hour forecast of 17.05.2020 at 00z (initialize model with 17.05.2020 00 gmt)
When I run the wrf using that above data, is it a simulation or forecasting?

what is the basic difference between simulation and forecasting regarding WRF run?
Please clear this point.
Thank you

Hi,
I think people use the words "simulation" and "forecast" interchangeably. Technically a forecast is a prediction of the future, so since your dates have already passed, they wouldn't really be a forecast, and "simulation" would be the more accurate term. However, as I said, I've heard many modelers use the word "forecast" to simply indicate any simulation. I agree it's a bit confusing.

Thank you for your reply.
I get some clarification from your reply.
Like if I take data of today (2.12.2020 at 00 Z) and run our model for 72 hour . Then it might be the forecast.
But technically those (simulation and forecast) have no difference.
Right?

Thank you jayanti pal for coming up with this question as I had the same doubt and thankyou kwerner for clearing it giving some clarity to tis confusion between forecast and simulation.