Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

what's the difference between mixing ratio and water mixing ratio?

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

mirabelle

Hello,

There are several mixing ratio in the Registry, such as
state real qv ikjftb moist 1 - \ i0rhusdf=(bdy_interp:dt) "QVAPOR" "Water vapor mixing ratio" "kg kg-1"
state real qc ikjftb moist 1 - \ i0rhusdf=(bdy_interp:dt) "QCLOUD" "Cloud water mixing ratio" "kg kg-1"
state real qr ikjftb moist 1 - \ i0rhusdf=(bdy_interp:dt) "QRAIN" "Rain water mixing ratio" "kg kg-1"
state real qi ikjftb moist 1 - \ i0rhusdf=(bdy_interp:dt) "QICE" "Ice mixing ratio" "kg kg-1"
state real qs ikjftb moist 1 - \ i0rhusdf=(bdy_interp:dt) "QSNOW" "Snow mixing ratio" "kg kg-1"
state real qg ikjftb moist 1 - \ i0rhusdf=(bdy_interp:dt) "QGRAUP" "Graupel mixing ratio" "kg kg-1"
state real qh ikjftb moist 1 - \ i0rhusdf=(bdy_interp:dt) "QHAIL" "Hail mixing ratio" "kg kg-1"

state real qv_gc igj dyn_em 1 Z i1 "QV" "mixing ratio" "kg kg-1"
As the Registry says, qv_gc is used in wps.

If I wanna get mixing ratio in WRFV3 procedure, just like grid%qv_gc, does that means I should sum grid%moist(ix,k,iy,:) ?

Kind regards,
Mirabelle

Hi Mirabelle,
I'd first like to apologize for the delay in response. I've been out of the office much over the past couple of weeks.

If you are interested in surface mixing ratio, you need to look at the variable 'Q2.' Typically when you're wanting the mixing ratio, you're wanting the water vapor mixing ratio, which means you'll need to look at the QVAPOR output. If you'd like the sum of all of them, then it will depend on the physics scheme you're using and which variables are available in that scheme. You can then sum those variables at each point.