Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

6th Order Horizontal Diffusion (diff_6th_opt) recommendation

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

iandragaud

Hello,
I would like to ask about the 6th Order Horizontal Diffusion (diff_6th_opt).
The default option, the option that comes in the namelist.input, is diff_6th_opt=0. However, the ARW User’s Guide Version 4 informs that "Option 2 is recommended".
I would like to ask why option 2 is recommended? or should I use none (diff_6th_opt=0)?

Regards,
Ian

Hi,
What the wording in the Users' Guide should actually say is that this option is set to 0, by default, as it's not necessary for most users; however, if you are going to use it, you should use option 2. I will modify the Users' Guide so that this is more clear. If you're interested in reading more about diff_6th_opt and why it may be sometimes used, you can read the publication about it here.