Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Regarding conversion

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

EMMANUEL

I would like to know which file to be used while (post-processing )? Is it grid.nc file or init. nc?

Kindly suggest on this thanking you

When you say post-processing, can you describe what you mean? Do you mean calculating offline diagnostics? Or creating graphical plots of output? The title of this post seems to be in regard to convert_mpas, are you curious about how convert_mpas works?

Yes my query was related to convert_MPAS. I could convert to lon-lat using the converter using grid.nc file or init.nc. But I would like to know what is the difference using either of the two.
mcurry said:
When you say post-processing, can you describe what you mean? Do you mean calculating offline diagnostics? Or creating graphical plots of output? The title of this post seems to be in regard to convert_mpas, are you curious about how convert_mpas works?

For this question I would consult the convert_mpas README.md, specifically, the running section. The first mesh file given in convert_mpas only needs to contain the MPAS mesh information. If your grid.nc and init.nc file have the same MPAS mesh information, then no difference occurs (except the init.nc might have more fields that are interpolated to the lat/lon grid).

Thank you for the information

mcurry said:
For this question I would consult the convert_mpas README.md, specifically, the running section. The first mesh file given in convert_mpas only needs to contain the MPAS mesh information. If your grid.nc and init.nc file have the same MPAS mesh information, then no difference occurs (except the init.nc might have more fields that are interpolated to the lat/lon grid).