Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

convert_mpas utility

Jeremy

Hi everyone

I was trying to work with my data but it is in the MPAS raw format. For working with the data in Python , I want to interpolate it to a latlon grid. I had seen a routine called convert_mpas that does it, but I don't understand very well about the use.

Can someone explain to me how I can use this tool through an example?. Thanks

kind regards,
Jeremy

If you haven't already done so, you may want to read the "Running" section in the README.md file for the convert_mpas utility. But in any case, the simplest example would be the interpolation of fields from an MPAS-Atmosphere output file that contains information about the horizontal mesh as well as the meteorological fields to be interpolated; for example, the default "history" files produced by MPAS-Atmosphere fit this description. In this case, you could simply run, e.g.,
Code:
convert_mpas history.2010-10-23_00.00.00.nc

Hi

Thanks for the message.

Is ok if I use convert_mpas program to be regridding quantities like rainfall or not ?

kind regards,
jeremy

Apologies for the long delay in posting a reply. You can certainly use the convert_mpas program to regrid fields lake rainfall, but note that the interpolation used by the program is not conservative. If you need to conservatively remap fields, the ESMF regridding tools may be worth investigating.