Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

problem with visualizing domain by plotgrids_new.ncl

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

Sunny-m

Hello,

I have generated my namelist.wps using domain wizard. It seems okay when I look at the domain by ferret. But using plotgrids_new.ncl it seems wrong. Could you assist with this?

I am attaching namelist.wps, generated domain with plotgrids_new.ncl and ferret.

Attachments

• namelist (2).wps
    1.6 KB · Views: 56
  • met.out with ferret.png
    met.out with ferret.png
    63.3 KB · Views: 994
  • domain with plotgrids.png
    domain with plotgrids.png
    71.3 KB · Views: 995
Hi,
Unfortunately the plotgrids_new.ncl utility does not handle the lat-lon grid very well and can often make the domain look odd like this. It's likely what you are seeing with ferret is correct. You can run the geogrid program and then look at a field like LANDUSEF to see if the domain looks like what you would expect. If so, they you are probably safe to continue moving forward.