Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

calc_ecmwf_p ecmwf_coeffs

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

sekluzia

Dear Colleges,

I would like to get clarification on properly writing the ecmwf_coeffs text file:
When I write the sigma level coefficients starting with 0 0.000000 0.000000000 row as recommended in the WRF manual, the calc_ecmwf_p.exe complains that
WARNING First level is missing!

When I start writing the coefficients from the first sigma level (corresponding to the top of the atmosphere) omitting the row "0" everything is fine, no Warning messages.

However, in either way the first level of the SPECHUM variable contains only nan values in the created met_em* files.

Which way is correct?
Can you please check this issue?
Will this affect the model initialization and the simulation results?

Artur

Hi Artur,
Can you attach your two .txt files (the one that causes the error, and the one that works through the ecmwf_coeffs process)? Can you also tell me what data you're using? Thanks!

Hi,

Please find attached the files ending with "_0" and "_1".
I am working with ERA5 model level reanalysis.

Artur

Attachments

• ecmwf_coeffs_1.txt
    3.6 KB · Views: 60
  • ecmwf_coeffs_0.txt
    3.6 KB · Views: 71
Thanks for sending that. Can you use the file that includes line 0, and then send me the following:
1) a couple of consecutive files created with calc_ecmwf_p.exe (PRES-YYYY-MM-DD_HH files)
2) the output from running calc_ecmwf_p.exe
3) the namelist.wps file you use for running metgrid
4) a couple of consecutive met_em* files (if these are too large to attach, please see the home page of this forum for information on sharing large files)
5) Please let me know which version of WPS you are using.
Thanks!