Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Visualize Ungrib output using Plotfmt.ncl

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

YagniR

Hello,

I am trying to use WRF utility, plotfmt_nc.ncl script to read output of ungrib..

Command: ncl plotfmt_nc.ncl 'inputFILE="FILE:2018-05-16_06"'

Error:
(0) VAR = missing
fatal:file (inFILE) isn't defined
fatal:["Execute.c":8637]:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 50 in file plotfmt_nc.ncl (consider X11/Xming open in background)

I dont understand which variable and how do I introduce variable in command line.. All the available source have mention above syntax to run the file...

Thanks in advance..

Please run the script plotfmt.ncl. The command should be like:
ncl plotfmt.ncl 'filename="GFS:2019-06-10_06.new"'
Note that GFS:2019-06-10_06.new must exist in the directory where plotfmt.ncl is located.

Here is a list of my WPS directory, indicating that I have the output from a GFS file.
Code:
> ls -ls FILE:2018-06-07_12 
197124 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 194463544 May  8 14:57 FILE:2018-06-07_12

This file is the output from the ungrib program.

To view this file, use the plotfmt.ncl script that is in the util directory. Be careful to use the double and single quotes correctly:
Code:
ncl util/plotfmt.ncl 'filename="FILE:2018-06-07_12"'

Here is the first frame:
slp.png

To use the plotfmt_nc.ncl script, you need to first convert the intermediate format data into netcdf. You are trying to use the wrong ncl script with the intermediate data.

Sir,

thank you for response..

It still not solved, getting same error::

(ncl_stable) rami@abakus util$ ncl plotfmt_nc.ncl 'inputFILE="FILE:2018-05-16_12"' (command I gave) (below is whtz generate in terminal)
Copyright (C) 1995-2019 - All Rights Reserved
University Corporation for Atmospheric Research
NCAR Command Language Version 6.6.2
The use of this software is governed by a License Agreement.
See http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/ for more details.
warning:_NclOpenFile: Can not open file <FILE:2018-05-16_12>; file format not supported or file is corrupted
warning:getfilevarnames: inFILE is not a valid file variable
(0) VAR = missing (Error)
fatal:file (inFILE) isn't defined
fatal:["Execute.c":8637]:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 50 in file plotfmt_nc.ncl

Pls guide..