Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Copernicus Atmosphere Monitoring Service (CAMS) data to use in WRF-Chem

medeirosj

Dear all,
I am trying to run WRF-Chem for the first time. I have been running WRF for several years now.
I have monthly CAMS global data, and I have no idea how to prepare these files to go into WRF-Chem.
I have a file called prep_sources_chem.inp but I am not sure if it's the right one to use, especially when there is no option for CAMS

Any help is much appreciated.
Hope to have some feedback soon
Many Thanks
Joana

Hi,

This website shouold be useful. https://confluence.ecmwf.int/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=174865233
I tried to follow that, but not easy to follow, errors occured.

Hi,
I have the same issue. I also tried to follow the How to run the WRF-Chem model using CAMS data as initial and boundary conditions (BC)? - Copernicus Knowledge Base - ECMWF Confluence Wiki, but I encountered some problems.
First I downloaded cams-global-reanalysis-eac4 data from Copernicus Climate Data Store | and then tried to run MACC2_MOZART_AQMEII.ncl, but I did not have any hyam and hybm variables in my surface pressure data. Actually, my surface pressure data has 1 variable. but in MACC2_MOZART_AQMEII.ncl it seems to have 3 variables.
Did you get any results? and could you create initial and boundary conditions using CAMs data and MOZBC utility?
I would appreciate any help.

Last edited:
Hi,
I have the same issue. I also tried to follow the How to run the WRF-Chem model using CAMS data as initial and boundary conditions (BC)? - Copernicus Knowledge Base - ECMWF Confluence Wiki, but I encountered some problems.
First I downloaded cams-global-reanalysis-eac4 data from Copernicus Climate Data Store | and then tried to run MACC2_MOZART_AQMEII.ncl, but I did not have any hyam and hybm variables in my surface pressure data. Actually, my surface pressure data is 2D. but in MACC2_MOZART_AQMEII.ncl it seems to be 3D.
Did you get any results? and could you create initial and boundary conditions using CAMs data and MOZBC utility?
I would appreciate any help.
Hi,

I did not work it out.
Based on the reply on this web page, Preparing of CAMS data to WRF-Chem - Copernicus User Support Forum - ECMWF Confluence Wiki
"function 4: create a mozart-type file from the merged, reduced domain CAMS dataset. For this, i got the hyam and hybm variable from this site: https://www.ecmwf.int/en/forecasts/documentation-and-support/137-model-levels and wrote them to a text file to be read in by the script. "
However, I did not have permission to get it.

Hi,

I did not work it out.
Based on the reply on this web page, Preparing of CAMS data to WRF-Chem - Copernicus User Support Forum - ECMWF Confluence Wiki
"function 4: create a mozart-type file from the merged, reduced domain CAMS dataset. For this, i got the hyam and hybm variable from this site: https://www.ecmwf.int/en/forecasts/documentation-and-support/137-model-levels and wrote them to a text file to be read in by the script. "
However, I did not have permission to get it.
Hi,
Thank you for your reply.
I solved it.
Please see the link below. It is helpful.

Last edited: