Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Convert_emiss.exe run problem

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

Georgii Nerobelov

I`m trying to generate BC and IC of anthropogenic emissions (NEI data set) using tutorial from "WRF-Chem 3.9.1.1 Emissions Guide" (chapters 2.3 and 2.4) and information from Exercise 3 (https://ruc.noaa.gov/wrf/wrf-chem/tutorialexercises/tutorialexercises003.html). Everything is OK except the final step - running convert_emiss.exe. After I run the executable the programm gets into a loop which doesn`t stop itself and doesn`t generate any output files. As I could understand from the convert_emiss.f90 file, subroutine "geth_newdate" can`t provide a correct next_date_char. For instance, my start_date_char and end_date_char are 2019-09-17_00:00:00 and 2019-09-17_11:00:00 respectfully and I expect that after every loop next_date_char=start_date_char+1 hour. But in my case next_date_char=start_date_char every loop (and you can see it from attached log.file).
Is someone familiar with the problem? I will appreciate any help.
Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• convert_emiss.log.txt
    500.6 KB · Views: 113
  • convert_emiss.f90
    77.1 KB · Views: 104
Hi, Georgii.

Did you managed to solve the issue with the convert_emiss executable?
I'm having the same issue with this file. It doesn't stop looping through the same initial time... :roll:

Thank you.

Best regards,
Rui Silva

Dear, Georgii.

The reason why the convert_emiss.exe is running in loop is because you need to set this option in your namelist.input:

&time_control
auxinput5_interval_m = 60,

However I still have the following error:
At line 1268 of file convert_emiss.f90 (unit = 91, file = 'wrfem_12to24z_d01')
Fortran runtime error: I/O past end of record on unformatted file

Anyone knows why this happens?

Cheers,
Rui Silva

Hey I'm having a similar issue and getting a Fortran runtime error when running convert_emiss.exe, were you able to resolve this?

Thanks

Hi,

I am having a similar problem running convert_emiss.exe.
Code:
Total analysis times to input =   12
Total number of times to input =   12   12
Number of emissions:         31
EMISSIONS INPUT FILE TIME PERIOD (GMT):        0 TO        1
dims:         1         1         1
dims:        80        31        50        20
dims:         1         1         1
dims:        80        31        50
dims:        91        20        61        38         3
dims:        81        20        51
PAST READ EMISSIONS 1
EMISSIONS OUTPUT file name: wrfchemi_00z_d01
WRITE EMISSIONS 1
FRAMES:         12        12
LOOP:          2        12
Date &  time 2013-06-03_01:00:00.0000
Hour    0
USING FILE: wrfem_00to12z_d01         1
Reading data from file:          0
forrtl: severe (67): input statement requires too much data, unit 91, file /home/NEI2011/wrfem_00to12z_d01
The wrfchemi_00z_d01 file is produced, but it only has 1 time level (it is supposed to have 12 hours).
Can anyone help me with is? Thanks!!!

Best,
Bessie

Hi Bessie,

Yes the convert emissions tool has had some difficulties and there are planned fixes. For your case, It looks like you are running into memory options. Depending on the system you are using, try increasing the available memory (e.g., on a SLURM scheduler, --mem-per-cpu=XXG) or place "limit stacksize unlimited" and/or "ulimit -s unlimited" in your runscript.

Jordan

Dear Jordan,

Thanks for your advice.

I tried "ulimit -s unlimited", but the problem still exists. I also tried using larger time steps, but it doesn't work.

Best,
Bessie