Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

WRF-Chem 4.0 compile -- no .exe file build, Error in opening the compiled module file (solved)

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

quwj0228

Dear colleagues,

I am compiling WRF-Chem 4.0 under below environment without KPP set with intel17 parallel compiler,

export EM_CORE=1
export NMM_CORE=0

export WRF_CHEM=1

but I finished with no .exe file produced, concluded with a sentence "Problems building executables, look for errors in the build log".

I looked over the compile.log and find several errors on compiling of some module files.

Could anyone please give me a clue where to check the INCLUDE paths or how to solve this issue?

The whole configure.wrf and compile.log files are also attached.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Wenjun

##############################################################################################################

start_em.f90(44): error #7002: Error in opening the compiled module file. Check INCLUDE paths. [MODULE_AEROSOLS_SORGAM]
USE module_aerosols_sorgam, ONLY: sum_pm_sorgam
-------^
start_em.f90(45): error #7002: Error in opening the compiled module file. Check INCLUDE paths. [MODULE_GOCART_AEROSOLS]
USE module_gocart_aerosols, ONLY: sum_pm_gocart
-------^
start_em.f90(46): error #7002: Error in opening the compiled module file. Check INCLUDE paths. [MODULE_MOSAIC_DRIVER]
USE module_mosaic_driver, ONLY: sum_pm_mosaic
-------^
start_em.f90(47): error #7002: Error in opening the compiled module file. Check INCLUDE paths. [MODULE_INPUT_TRACER]
USE module_input_tracer, ONLY: initialize_tracer
-------^
start_em.f90(48): error #7002: Error in opening the compiled module file. Check INCLUDE paths. [MODULE_AEROSOLS_SOA_VBS]
USE module_aerosols_soa_vbs, only: sum_pm_soa_vbs
-------^
start_em.f90(44): error #6580: Name in only-list does not exist. [SUM_PM_SORGAM]
USE module_aerosols_sorgam, ONLY: sum_pm_sorgam
-------------------------------------^
start_em.f90(45): error #6580: Name in only-list does not exist. [SUM_PM_GOCART]
USE module_gocart_aerosols, ONLY: sum_pm_gocart
-------------------------------------^
start_em.f90(46): error #6580: Name in only-list does not exist. [SUM_PM_MOSAIC]
USE module_mosaic_driver, ONLY: sum_pm_mosaic
-----------------------------------^
start_em.f90(47): error #6580: Name in only-list does not exist. [INITIALIZE_TRACER]
USE module_input_tracer, ONLY: initialize_tracer
----------------------------------^
start_em.f90(48): error #6580: Name in only-list does not exist. [SUM_PM_SOA_VBS]
USE module_aerosols_soa_vbs, only: sum_pm_soa_vbs
--------------------------------------^
compilation aborted for start_em.f90 (code 1)

solve_em.f90(81): error #7002: Error in opening the compiled module file. Check INCLUDE paths. [MODULE_INPUT_CHEM_DATA]
USE module_input_chem_data
-------^
solve_em.f90(82): error #7002: Error in opening the compiled module file. Check INCLUDE paths. [MODULE_INPUT_TRACER]
USE module_input_tracer
-------^
solve_em.f90(83): error #7002: Error in opening the compiled module file. Check INCLUDE paths. [MODULE_CHEM_UTILITIES]
USE module_chem_utilities
-------^
solve_em.f90(519): error #6404: This name does not have a type, and must have an explicit type. [COUPLER_ON]
IF( coupler_on ) CALL cpl_store_input( grid, config_flags )
-------^
solve_em.f90(519): error #6341: A logical data type is required in this context. [COUPLER_ON]
IF( coupler_on ) CALL cpl_store_input( grid, config_flags )
-------^
solve_em.f90(1096): error #6404: This name does not have a type, and must have an explicit type. [COUPLER_ON]
IF (coupler_on) CALL cpl_settime( curr_secs2 )
-----------^
solve_em.f90(1096): error #6341: A logical data type is required in this context. [COUPLER_ON]
IF (coupler_on) CALL cpl_settime( curr_secs2 )
-----------^
solve_em.f90(6090): error #6404: This name does not have a type, and must have an explicit type. [COUPLER_ON]
IF ( coupler_on ) grid%just_read_auxinput4 = Is_alarm_tstep(grid%domain_clock, grid%alarms(AUXINPUT4_ALARM))
--------^
solve_em.f90(6090): error #6341: A logical data type is required in this context. [COUPLER_ON]
IF ( coupler_on ) grid%just_read_auxinput4 = Is_alarm_tstep(grid%domain_clock, grid%alarms(AUXINPUT4_ALARM))
--------^
compilation aborted for solve_em.f90 (code 1)

real_em.f90(19): error #7002: Error in opening the compiled module file. Check INCLUDE paths. [MODULE_INPUT_CHEM_DATA]
-------^
real_em.f90(20): error #7002: Error in opening the compiled module file. Check INCLUDE paths. [MODULE_INPUT_CHEM_BIOEMISS]
USE module_input_chem_bioemiss
-------^
real_em.f90(284): error #7002: Error in opening the compiled module file. Check INCLUDE paths. [MODULE_INPUT_CHEM_DATA]
-------^
real_em.f90(285): error #7002: Error in opening the compiled module file. Check INCLUDE paths. [MODULE_INPUT_CHEM_BIOEMISS]
USE module_input_chem_bioemiss
-------^
compilation aborted for real_em.f90 (code 1)

##############################################################################################################

Attachments

• compile.log
    803.3 KB · Views: 80
  • configure.wrf
    22.9 KB · Views: 71
Hi Wenjun,

Can you try to compile this without the chemistry options (just a basic non-chem WRF compilation), and let me know if that is successful? I just want to see if this is a WRF problem, or a WRF-Chem problem. Before your compile, set the following (csh example):
setenv J "-j 1"

If this does not compile for basic WRF either, please send your new configure.wrf and compile log.

T'hanks,
Kelly

Kelly,

Thanks for your quick reply.

I am sure the compiling is successful for non-chem WRF compilation. I tried it yesterday but did not save the relevant configure.wrf and the build log.

Does this also mean that I could give it a try to compile with chemistry with an environment change such as setenv J "-j 1"?

Thank you so much for your kind help.

Wenjun

Wenjun,

You could set to environment variable J to 1 for the chemistry compile, but it shouldn't allow it to build. Setting this to 1 just asks the compile to only use 1 processor. This is beneficial in sorting through the errors in the compile log. When you only use 1 processor, the first error ('Error' with a capital 'E') you encounter is typically THE problem. When you use multiple processors to compile, the errors can be printed out of order, and then it's not easy to tell if the initial error is the core problem, or whether it's a problem because of another problem. Hopefully that makes sense!

Because this does seem to just be a chemistry problem, I'm actually going to move this post to the WRF-Chem section. A different group supports the chemistry component and they should have a better idea of what the problem is.

Kelly

Wenjun,

Because this compile problem seems to be related to the chemistry component of WRF, I have moved this post to the WRF-Chem section. Hopefully someone will be able to look at this soon.

Kelly, thank you so much.

Your reply is really helpful for me to understand the compiling and debuging process. Thanks.

Wenjun

Greetings! The latest release of WRF-Chem 4.0.3 solved this issue.

Many thanks to Kelly and to the WRF development team.

Wenjun