Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Compilation failed: buffer overflow detected using KPP

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

jokervtv

Dear Sir or Madam,

When I built WRF-Chem v4.2.1, the following error occurred:

Code:
mechanisms/cri_mosaic_4bin_aq
model cri_mosaic_4bin_aq
/root/WRF-4.2/chem/KPP/kpp/kpp-2.1/bin/kpp cri_mosaic_4bin_aq.kpp
*** buffer overflow detected ***: terminated
make: *** [Makefile:3: cri_mosaic_4bin_aq_Integrator.f90] Aborted (core dumped)

I used gcc and gfortran in version 9.3.0. But in lower versions, it can work well.

So how to get the correct installation.

Thank you for reading.

Hi,

This seems to be a memory issue. Are you compiling on the command line? Can you provide the compile with additional memory?

Jordan

Thanks for your reply.

I have been observing the memory usage, even at the most it is still only 50% usage. I don't know how to add extra memory. I have 16G of physical memory, I added 4G of virtual memory, and used `ulimit -s unlimited` when compiling.

I only saw this issue on ubuntu 20.04 LTS, when I switched to CentOS, it worked well. So, I think it’s about the compiler. But I don't how to solve it.

If I don’t use KPP to build, it succeeds.

Hi, interesting that it fails with KPP. I assume you have both the yacc and FLEX programs and have this set in your environment before compiling?

setenv YACC ‘/usr/bin/yacc –d’
setenv FLEX_LIB_DIR /usr/local/lib

Optionally, if it's failing on building the crimech mechansim (and you aren''t using it), you can delete the directory chem/KPP/mechanisms/cri_mosaic_4bin_aq (probably also chem/KPP/mechanisms/cri_mosaic_8bin_aq) and other mechanisms you aren't using.

Jordan