Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Just as I quoted the setting method in the forum, why setting progn=0 is to turn off the aerosol indirect effect?

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

cxyiyh

Hi,friends,
Just as I quoted the setting method in the forum, why setting progn=0 is to turn off the aerosol indirect effect? Does this approach accurately indicate that the aerosol cloud interaction is turned off?
I just know setting progn=0 means no prognostic aerosols.
gc13141112 said:
setting namelist.input for no aerosol feed back
progn = 0
ra_lw_physics = 4
ra_sw_physics = 4
chem_opt = 2
aer_ra_feedback = 0

setting namelist.input for aerosol direct effects
progn = 0
ra_lw_physics = 4
ra_sw_physics = 4
chem_opt = 2
aer_ra_feedback = 1

setting namelist.input for aerosol direct and indirect effects
progn = 1
ra_lw_physics = 4
ra_sw_physics = 4
chem_opt = 2
wetscav_onoff = 1,
cldchem_onoff = 1,
aer_ra_feedback = 1

The three figures in attachments
Another questions is setting chem_opt = 2 seems to have no aqueous phase chemistry.How do I consider the role of aqueous phase chemistry in the cloud?

Thanks to everyone who discussed and answered my questions!

Best Regards!

yours,
cxyiyh

Hi,

The namelist values you have indicated are correct, however, as you note, you will need to choose a mechanism that includes aqueous phase chemistry. Please refer to either the user guide or Registry/registry.chem and search form a chem_opt that has a *_aq extension in the name.

Jordan