Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

WRF-Chem offline chemistry

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

Soroush

Hello everyone,

I would appreciate if you could answer my question about WRF-Chem
offline mode.
I plan to run WRF-Chem without feedback from chemistry on meteorology
(offline). I also have read some documents that compare WRF-Chem
online and offline modes (e.g.
https://www.asp.ucar.edu/sites/default/files/1_Ahmadov_07_29_2016.pdf).
However, I don't know how can I change WRF-Chem from default (online) to offline mode.
Does anyone have any idea how can I do that? I would appreciate if
you can share a sample namelist for this case too.
Thank you in advance.

Best,
Soroush

WRF-Chem is always online (meteorology and chemistry are simulated within the same modeling framework). The chemistry feedback is turned on by setting the option "aer_ra_feedback".

Thank you for the explanation. In this case I'm not sure if the off-line mode is helpful for my case. Please let me clarify what I plan to do. I want to simulate "radiative effect" of aerosols (I know how to do this part). However, I don't want to have any feedback from the calculated "radiative effect" on meteorological parameters such as temperature. Can you please let me know if it is possible in WRF-Chem?