Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

About Reading emission data

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

goharali

Hello everybody,

I am using wrfchem by applying the emission data (e.g. wrfchemi, wrffirechemi, wrfbiochemi, wrfchemi_gocart_bg, etc). The corresponding auxiliaries have been included and activated into the namelist.input file. The simulation runs without any error and during simulation, I can only see the message about MEGAN biogenic data at regular intervals (like "calculate MEGAN emissions at ktau, gmtp, tmidh = ") but I cannot see any message about the other datasets. Whether these emissions are also being read during the simulation and how it can be confirmed.

Help in this regard from any group member will be highly appreciated.

Best regards
Gohar Ali

NB: Some part of the namelist.input file is included here;

io_form_auxinput5 = 2,
io_form_auxinput6 = 2,
io_form_auxinput7 = 2,
io_form_auxinput8 = 2,
io_form_auxinput12 = 0,
io_form_auxinput13 = 0,
auxinput5_inname = 'wrfchemi_d01_<date>',
auxinput6_inname = ‘wrfbiochemi_d<domain>_<date>',
auxinput7_inname = 'wrffirechemi_d<domain>_<date>',
auxinput8_inname = 'wrfchemi_gocart_bg_d<domain>_<date>',
auxinput12_inname = 'wrf_chem_input',
auxinput13_inname = 'wrfchemv_d<domain>_<date>’,
auxinput5_interval_m = 1440,
auxinput7_interval_m = 1440,
auxinput8_interval_m = 1440,
auxinput13_interval_m = 1440,
frames_per_auxinput5 = 1,1,
frames_per_auxinput6 = 1,1,
frames_per_auxinput7 = 1,1,
frames_per_auxinput8 = 1,1,
frames_per_auxinput13 = 1,1,

&chem
kemit = 8,
chem_opt = 11,
bio_emiss_opt = 3,
ne_area = 200
bioemdt = 30,
photdt = 30,
chemdt = 0,
io_style_emissions = 2,
emiss_inpt_opt = 1,
emiss_opt = 5,

hi Gohar Ali,

Have you tried increasing the debug level (maybe set "debug = 100")? This will give you a lot more information in the rsl.error.0000 files to check.

You can also add the emission variables to your wrfout files - using the I/O controls at runtime - in order to check that they are being read in properly by WRF-Chem. Set this in your namelist (in &time_control):
iofields_filename = 'add_remove_var.txt','add_remove_var.txt',
And create a file in your running directory called "add_remove_var.txt" containing lines similar to the following:
+:h:0:E_NO,E_SO2,E_NO2,E_NH3,E_PAR,E_ISO
+:h:0:E_ETH,E_HC3,E_HC5,E_HC8,E_XYL,E_OL2
(replace E_NO, E_SO2, etc, with the emission variables from your input files that you are interested in).

There's more instructions on how to use these iofield controls in the WRF handbook.

cheers,
Doug