Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Different spinup times

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

neel14

Hi,
Is it possible to use different spinup times for meteorology and chemistry? i.e I want to initialize the chemistry after some period of meteorology spinup.

Thanks.

Hi Neeldip,

Try this..

1. Run real.exe with chem_opt=0
2. Run your met-only spinup, and generate a restart file.
3. Run a separate instance of real to generate a wrinput_d01 file with initialized chem arrays.
4. Rename/move&link the wrfinput file to a wrf_chem_input file
5. Run with restart = true, your chem_opt, and chem_in_opt =1.

Alternatively, you could try this.
1 - 3 as above
4. Use ncks to append the chem fields to the restart file (e.g., ncks -v chem_1,chem_2,... wrfinput_d01 wrfrrst_)
5. Run restart = true, and your chem_opt, and chem_in_opt = 0.

Please let me know how this goes. It may be necessary to do the reverse, i.e., put the restart files met data into the wrfinput file.

Jordan

Hi Jordan,
I tried the alternate approach. If you compare the variables between the wrfchem input and wrfchem restart file, a lot of variables are missing in the input file.
So if I append the variables from a chem input file to a wrf restart file, I dont think it would work though I haven't got a chance to run.

As for the 1st approach I didn't understand the 4th step.

neeldip

Attachments

• wrfcheminp.txt
    72.1 KB · Views: 48
  • wrfchemrst.txt
    448.3 KB · Views: 43
Hi Neeldip,

The first method is what you should try to use as yes, there are different variables in the restart vs. input file.

As for step 4. If a file named "wrf_chem_input_d01" is in the run directory, with chem_in_opt = 1 and io_form_auxinput12 = 2, the model will use that file to initialize chemistry.

So after you have created the wrfinput_d01 file with chemistry on, simply

ln -s wrfinput_d01 wrf_chem_input_d01

Jordan

jordanschnell said:
Hi Neeldip,

The first method is what you should try to use as yes, there are different variables in the restart vs. input file.

As for step 4. If a file named "wrf_chem_input_d01" is in the run directory, with chem_in_opt = 1 and io_form_auxinput12 = 2, the model will use that file to initialize chemistry.

So after you have created the wrfinput_d01 file with chemistry on, simply

ln -s wrfinput_d01 wrf_chem_input_d01

Jordan

Hi Jordan,
I am not sure of the quality of the simulation output, but I can confirm that the alternate approach works.
Thanks for your time. Also it would be very helpful if this process could be directly implemented into the model without going through the whole process.

Neeldip