Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

WRF-Chem with VPRM [SOLVED]

Georgii Nerobelov

Dear WRF-Chem Users!

Is there any guide on how to run WRF-Chem with online VPRM calculations for implementing biogenic CO2 emissions? Recently I have run successfully VPRMpreproc using the WRF-VPRMpreproc manual and useful advices from the scientists of Max Planck Institute for Biogeochemistry. Now I am trying to find out how to implement the VPRMpreproc results (e.g. EVI, LSWI, VEG_FRA, etc.) to run the WRF-Chem with online VPRM calculation. I read through WRF-GHG and WRF-Chem User Guide but found only that the WRF_VPRM_input file has to include all VPRMpreproc fields. In addition, I prepared such file and set it as an auxinput15 in the WRF-Chem namelist.input (as well as corresponding chemistry options e.g. chem_opt=16, emiss_inpt_opt=16, emiss_opt=16). The WRF-Chem log tells that the file was read successfully. However there are no any changes in CO2_BIO filed.

P.S.
I work with the WRF-Chem v.4.1.2

Respectfully,
Georgy.

Hooray!

I suppose that I found the solution. I`ve just run the WRF-Chem with online VPRM calculation. I added the VPRMpreproc fields in one additional file which I corresponded to the auxinput15 in the WRF-Chem namelist.input. The issue was related to the attribute "FieldType" which VPRMpreproc variables don`t have initially. I added the attribute to each of the VPRMpreproc variables and set them to 104 (integer) as it is in case of other WRF-Chem variables. Right after that I run the model and got spatio-temporal variation of CO2_BIO values per each history interval.
Hope this will be helpful in case somebody faces related issue.

Cheers.

Hello, I am running WRF-VPRM. I write 7 parameters related to VPRM into wrfinput. After running wrfout, CO2_BIO has changed. After adding a human source, CO2_ANT has also changed. But CO2_OCE has not changed. Do you know the reason for this? Is there a need for a marine emission inventory, and if so, how should it be given? Can you help me solve my doubts?

Regarding the CO2_OCE field:
When you go looking in the code (registry.chem and module_ghg_fluxes.F), you will see that the CO2_OCE tracer corresponds with a ebio_co2oce flux field that is read through auxinput 6.

What I did (and worked, at least for version 4.1.5) is to download an ocean flux inventory of your choice, regrid it to the WRF grid and units and write it into a NetCDF file. Name the field EBIO_CO2OCE (capital letters were important for it to work), type 'float64' and give it three dimensions: Time, south_north, west_east. Further, I had defined the following attributes to the variable: FieldType (104), MemoryOrder (XYZ), units (mol km-2 h-1) and coordinates ('XLONG XLAT'). Finally, you copy the global attributes from your wrfinput file.

Also don't forget to define the file correctly in namelist.input.
Further, I added an offset of a couple ppm to the CO2_OCE tracer field when initializing (also boundaries) because then the tracer fields won't become negative (since ocean fluxes generally represent uptake). Just remove this offset again in postprocessing.

Hope this helps!

Hooray!

I suppose that I found the solution. I`ve just run the WRF-Chem with online VPRM calculation. I added the VPRMpreproc fields in one additional file which I corresponded to the auxinput15 in the WRF-Chem namelist.input. The issue was related to the attribute "FieldType" which VPRMpreproc variables don`t have initially. I added the attribute to each of the VPRMpreproc variables and set them to 104 (integer) as it is in case of other WRF-Chem variables. Right after that I run the model and got spatio-temporal variation of CO2_BIO values per each history interval.
Hope this will be helpful in case somebody faces related issue.

Cheers.
Hello George
I am also trying to run WRF-VPRM. I have the 7 files for my domain. How did you combine them into 1 file and changed the attributes?
thanks in advance

Dear WRF-Chem Users!

Is there any guide on how to run WRF-Chem with online VPRM calculations for implementing biogenic CO2 emissions? Recently I have run successfully VPRMpreproc using the WRF-VPRMpreproc manual and useful advices from the scientists of Max Planck Institute for Biogeochemistry. Now I am trying to find out how to implement the VPRMpreproc results (e.g. EVI, LSWI, VEG_FRA, etc.) to run the WRF-Chem with online VPRM calculation. I read through WRF-GHG and WRF-Chem User Guide but found only that the WRF_VPRM_input file has to include all VPRMpreproc fields. In addition, I prepared such file and set it as an auxinput15 in the WRF-Chem namelist.input (as well as corresponding chemistry options e.g. chem_opt=16, emiss_inpt_opt=16, emiss_opt=16). The WRF-Chem log tells that the file was read successfully. However there are no any changes in CO2_BIO filed.

P.S.

Respectfully,
Georgy.
Hello George,
I also want to run WRF-VPRM. However,I can’t find registry.ghg online.Can you tell me how to get WRF-GHG source code ?
Thank you !
Ming

Hello! I have the same problem. I can't find registry.ghg according to the WRF-GHG user manual. The version I installed is WRF-4.1. How do I run WRF-GHG? Thank you very much and look forward to your reply!(The WRF-GHG user guide is attached).

Attachments

• WRF_GHG.pdf
    4.5 MB · Views: 90
Dear WRF-Chem Users!

P.S.

Respectfully,
Georgy.
Hello Georgy:

Recently I'm running WRF-Chem4.0 with VRPM as you, but unfortunately my VPRMpreproc was not installed success, so I decide to write my own program to make the VPRM input EVI and LSWI VEG_FRA, i know the needed seven variables are EVI EVI_MIN EVI_MAX LSWI LSWI_MIN LSWI_MAX VEG_FRA, and they should be written to wrfinput file before run wrf.exe, but i don't konw the correct dimsize of them, should time temporal be consided, can you send me the header of your VRPM input files, thank you very much, hope you can reply!

Fu.

Hello Georgy:

Recently I'm running WRF-Chem4.0 with VRPM as you, but unfortunately my VPRMpreproc was not installed success, so I decide to write my own program to make the VPRM input EVI and LSWI VEG_FRA, i know the needed seven variables are EVI EVI_MIN EVI_MAX LSWI LSWI_MIN LSWI_MAX VEG_FRA, and they should be written to wrfinput file before run wrf.exe, but i don't konw the correct dimsize of them, should time temporal be consided, can you send me the header of your VRPM input files, thank you very much, hope you can reply!

Fu.

hello Fu:​

I am learning how to use WRF-VPRM, may I ask how did you create the VPRM input file (with what data and program)? Sorry I don't know anything about this part. Hope to hear from you, thanks!

Su.

hello Fu:​

I am learning how to use WRF-VPRM, may I ask how did you create the VPRM input file (with what data and program)? Sorry I don't know anything about this part. Hope to hear from you, thanks!

Su.
helloSu:
The VPRMPreprecessor can be used to generate EVI and LSWI and VEG_FRA, but this tool is written by R and some other library, it's very hard to use, you have to familiar with R and take a lot of modifications on the code, I spend a lot of time to run it and i'm not sure it is right so far, I'm still testing.
Fu

Hello George,
I also want to run WRF-VPRM. However,I can’t find registry.ghg online.Can you tell me how to get WRF-GHG source code ?
Thank you !
Ming
Dear Ming,

Hi I would like to use WRF-Chem coupled with GHG for studying methane emissions however, I am unable to find the registry.ghg and other modules. Did you find the necessary files? Thanks.