Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

How to transfer domain plotted in GIS to namelist parameters

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

Boston01

Hi there,

I have domain locations plotted in GIS and am wondering what is the easiest way to transfer these to namelist parameters. I have ref_lat and ref_lon of the centre point but am lost on the best way to calculate the i_parent_start, j_parent_start, e_we and e_sn values?

Is there any formulas or tools people use to transfer from m in GIS to the grid spacings? It is really important the smallest nest is in the correct location and it keeps being slightly off and trial and error isn't specific enough.

Attachments

• image (5).png
    image (5).png
    79.2 KB · Views: 271
Hi,
If you haven't already, take a look at this web page, which explains each namelist.wps parameter in detail and how they are calculated. You may also find this presentation useful - specifically starting around the 09:30 minute mark.

Unfortunately I'm not aware of any such tool that will compute WRF domain points from GIS, though others on this forum may have some useful information regarding that.