Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Note on Configuring Domains: Horizontal

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

iandragaud

Hi all,
I would like to request some tips to understand a figure (attached) from the WRF model Tutorial. The figure is related to the horizontal configuration of the domains. Unlike other best practices, I found this note to be more subjective and more difficult to apply when configuring the model domains.

Thanks in advance,
Ian

Attachments

• wrf.PNG
    wrf.PNG
    48.9 KB · Views: 2,462
Hi Ian,
I just stumbled across this post and see that it was never answered. First, I'd like to apologize for that. It is never our intent to overlook any user inquiries. As it's been so long, I'd first like to ask if you are you still struggling with this concept. Thanks.

Hi Kelly.
No problems. If possible, yes.. I would like to request some tips to understand the concepts related to this figure when configuring the WRF model domains. Thanks.

Ian,
Here are a couple other references that may be helpful:
1) Best Practices for WPS namelist setup
2) Nesting set-up presentation for a WRF tutorial (start around slide 20, with information regarding parent_grid_ratio and i/j_parent_start, and then scroll through a few more slides after that)

This slide you sent shows that you want to make sure there is plenty of space between the edges of d01 and d02. We recommend about 1/3 of the size of d01 around all sides of d02 (doesn't have to be exact). In this particular image, they are showing that it's okay to put d02 a little closer to the eastern edge of d01 because the air flow is coming from the NW and SW. You want to have space and time for things to develop and balance out between the boundary of d01 and the input model data (e.g., GFS), and when it crosses the boundary of d02, as that finer-resolution domain should be covering the area/event of interest.