Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Why do I see *** FATAL ERROR: Statistical processing bad n=0 *** when using the wgrib2 utility on my UPP output?

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

hertneky

Staff member
Why do I see *** FATAL ERROR: Statistical processing bad n=0 *** when using the wgrib2 utility on my UPP Grib2 output?

This error message is displayed when using more recent versions of the wgrib2 utility on files for forecast zero that contain accumulated or time-averaged fields. This is due to the newer versions of wgrib2 no longer allowing for n parameter to be zero or empty.

Users should consider using a separate control file (postcntrl.xml/postxconfig-NT.txt) for forecast hour zero that does not include accumulated or time-averaged fields, since they are zero anyway. Users can also continue to use an older version of wgrib2, with the latest known version not resulting in this error being v2.0.4.