Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

total cloud on Pressure surface

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

alainF

Hello,
Is it possible to get the output with the total cloud fraction on pressure surfaces, as a 3D field ?

Thank you

Hi,

I am not sure I understand what you mean as a 3D field. Cloud fraction is available and can be output on pressure levels.

CLD FRAC ON P SFCS in the wrf_cntrl.parm

For example, here is example UPP output using ncl_filedump (requires NCL to dump the file this way) of TCDC on isobaric levels TCDC(press,lat,lon).

float TCDC_P0_L100_GGA0 ( lv_ISBL7, lat_0, lon_0 )
center : US National Weather Service - NCEP (WMC)
production_status : Operational products
long_name : Total cloud cover
units : %
_FillValue : 1e+20
grid_type : Gaussian latitude/longitude
parameter_discipline_and_category : Meteorological products, Cloud
parameter_template_discipline_category_number : ( 0, 0, 6, 1 )
level_type : Isobaric surface (Pa)
forecast_time : 0
forecast_time_units : hours
initial_time : 10/03/2016 (00:00)

Thank you for your answer,
In the attached wrf_cntrl.parm file, I don't see the field called CLD FRAC ON P SFCS. Or maybe I don't look at the right place.
How can I change the file so that I can use it ?

Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• wrf_cntrl.parm.txt
    30.6 KB · Views: 63
You can add a new variable by adding 2 new lines to the parm file. The parm file is a fixed format so just be sure it is aligned the same as the other parameters in the file. Just turn on any pressure levels you desire.

(CLD FRAC ON P SFCS ) SCAL=( 3.0)
L=(00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000)

For future knowledge, there is a table for Grib1 available fields - although not all can be output for the WRF model.
https://dtcenter.org/sites/default/files/community-code/upp-grib1-table_2.pdf

Note: this link will not work soon as we are doing some major website modifications in the near future, so I would be sure to just download it.