Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

(RESOLVED) using hydrometeor mixing ratios in GFS: metgrid Error in ext_pkg_write_field

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

wcheng

Hi

I am trying to initialize WRF with hydrometeor mixing ratios in GFS:

ice, rain, snow and cloud.

I added the following to the Vtable

153 | 100 | * | | QC | kg/kg | Cloud Mixing Ratio | 0 | 1 | 22 | 100 |
170 | 100 | * | | QR | kg/kg | Rain Water Mixing Ratio | 0 | 1 | 24 | 100 |
178 | 100 | * | | QI | kg/kg | Ice Water Mixing Ratio | 0 | 1 | 23 | 100 |
171 | 100 | * | | QS | kg/kg | Snow Mixing Ratio | 0 | 1 | 25 | 100 |

ungrib.exe worked fine...logs indicated that the above fields are read in. Also, I used rd_intermediate.exe
to check that the fields are actually in the WPS intermediate files.

However, metgrid died:

2019-11-18 14:47:44.143 --- Initializing output module.
2019-11-18 14:47:44.151 --- ERROR: Error in ext_pkg_write_field

I am using WPS V4.1

If anyone has any solution, I'd appreciate a response. thanks.

I can repeat this error. We will look into this issue and let you know if we find a solution. Thanks for your patience.

If the QC, QR, QI, and QS fields don't have the same number of vertical levels as other 3-d atmospheric fields (e.g., TT, UU, VV), this may lead to the error you're seeing. It may work to modify the entries in the METGRID.TBL file so that all levels for the hydrometeor fields that are in the TT field but no available for the hydrometeor field are filled with a zero value. For example, the modifications to the QC field would look like:
Code:
 ========================================
 name=QC
 mpas_name=qc
         interp_option=four_pt+average_4pt
         fill_missing=0.
-        fill_lev=200100:const(0.).                 # Delete this line
+        fill_lev=all:const(0); level_template=TT  # Add this line
         flag_in_output=FLAG_QC
 ========================================
Can you try modifying the 'fill_lev' specification for QC, QR, QI, and QS as above to see whether that resolves the issue?