Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Problems with metgrid using ERA5 data

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

AlRodSan

Hi everyone. I'm recently working with ERA5 data and I'm having some issues with metgrid.exe execution. After downloading ERA5 data via Python API, I followed all the steps of this post:
https://dreambooker.site/2018/04/20/Initializing-the-WRF-model-with-ERA5/
and all ungrib files are created successfully. However, as I run metgrid.exe, I get this error:

-bash-4.2$ ./metgrid.exe
WARNING: In METGRID.TBL, FLAG_LOGSFP is given as a flag more than once.
Processing domain 1 of 4
Processing 2015-07-12_00
FILE
PRES
ERROR: Error in ext_pkg_write_field
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
MPI_ABORT was invoked on rank 0 in communicator MPI_COMM_WORLD
with errorcode 70024608.

NOTE: invoking MPI_ABORT causes Open MPI to kill all MPI processes.
You may or may not see output from other processes, depending on
exactly when Open MPI kills them.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I attach also the metgrid.log file. It seems to me that it stops working for no reason!

What is happening in here?? I've been days trying to figure it out but I'm giving up.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Regards,
Alex.

View attachment metgrid.log

Hi Alex,
This error typically means that surface data are missing. Start by checking that all of the 3D meteorological fields in your input data also include surface data.

You were right, the problem was that the number of variables in SFC archive and model levels archive didn't match.
Thank you!!