Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

ERA5: no num_metgrid_levels in met_em files

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

bartbrashers

I'm downloading ERA5 data following https://dreambooker.site/2019/10/03/Initializing-the-WRF-model-with-ERA5-pressure-level/, i.e. 38 vertical levels. Note it does not say I need to pre-process the grib files, as is the case of using the 138 model levels.

I'm using WPS-4.1, and ungrib works fine, and metgrid runs and does not complain (says "Successful completion of metgrid" at the end).

When I try to run obsgrid-3.8, I get a segfault. Using ncdump -h to look at a met_em*.nc file, I see the dimension num_metgrid_levels is missing.

Code:
netcdf met_em.d04.2013-12-19_12\:00\:00 {
dimensions:
        Time = UNLIMITED ; // (1 currently)
        DateStrLen = 19 ;
        west_east = 78 ;
        south_north = 75 ;
        num_st_layers = 4 ;
        num_sm_layers = 4 ;
        south_north_stag = 76 ;
        west_east_stag = 79 ;
        z-dimension0003 = 3 ;
        z-dimension0132 = 132 ;
        z-dimension0012 = 12 ;
        z-dimension0016 = 16 ;
        z-dimension0024 = 24 ;
variables:
        char Times(Time, DateStrLen) ;
        float PRES(Time, south_north, west_east) ;

I must be missing a step, not given in the dreambooker page. Suggestions?

Thanks!

Would there be a use-case where metgrid writing only the surface-level data would be useful?

If not, perhaps metgrid should issue a warning that no upper-level data were found. Might be worth a few lines of code..

Bart

Bart,
Thank you for the suggestion! Would you mind opening an "issue" about this on our WPS GitHub repository page?
https://github.com/wrf-model/WPS/issues