Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

cycling DA in ideal case

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

halakaka

Dear all,

I have a question:
Is it possible to achieve cyclic assimilation in an ideal case?Could the wrfout file be used for restarting in the ideal case? or I have to use the wrfrst file to reintegrate for cycling assimilation.
When I restart integration using the wrfout file in the previous step, the rsl.error.0000 will be reported:

WRF TILE 1 IS 1 IE 241 JS 1 JE 241
WRF NUMBER OF TILES = 1
Timing for main: time 0001-01-04_03:00:02 on domain 1: 18.43983 elapsed seconds
Timing for main: time 0001-01-04_03:00:04 on domain 1: 18.47235 elapsed seconds
forrtl: severe (174): SIGSEGV, segmentation fault occurred
Image PC Routine Line Source
wrf.exe 0000000003081F1D for__signal_handl Unknown Unknown
libpthread-2.17.s 00002B3E12CC7630 Unknown Unknown Unknown
wrf.exe 0000000002B30302 Unknown Unknown Unknown
wrf.exe 0000000002B2C208 Unknown Unknown Unknown
wrf.exe 0000000002B29DEF Unknown Unknown Unknown

I hope in your answer,
best regards
kaka

Kaya,
I am not sure how to do this with ideal case. I have moved your post to DA forum, hope our DA expert may be able to get back to you soon.

Ming Chen said:
Kaya,
I talked to our DA expert. He said that DA won't work with any ideal case.

Thank you very much for your help!
Excuse me,the reason that you said it could not work is because that ideal cases don't have an observation ? If that's the reason, I can make a synthetic observation through the OSSE (observing system simulation experiments) for ideal cases. Or is that ideal cases unable to be re-integrated with the updated wrfout. Thank you again!

No observations available for ideal cases is not the reason that DA cannot be applied to ideal cases. Instead, it is theoretically unreasonable.
wrfout cannot be used to restart the ideal cases. You have to restart using wrfrst file.

Ming Chen said:
No observations available for ideal cases is not the reason that DA cannot be applied to ideal cases. Instead, it is theoretically unreasonable.
wrfout cannot be used to restart the ideal cases. You have to restart using wrfrst file.

Okay, I see, thank you very much again, I have learned a lot !