Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Ine way nesting - different starting date

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

balisto

I am trying to implement a one way nesting simulation with WRF. The purpose of the simulation is to run a larger grid simulation for the full day, identify the periods affected by rain and run a nested domain only for these periods of time.

My input data are ERA5 (ECMWF) with a time frequency of one hour.
Thus I have only the input values for 00:00 01:00 02:00 03:00 04:00 05:00 06:00 ...
I save the result of my coarse domain every 3 minutes (wrfout files).
Then I would like to start my nested domain run at 3:33 for example.
My problem is that I cannot create an adequate metfile starting at 3:33 in order to initialize the run because my input data (and thus the "FILE" files) are still corresponding to the input data of the coarse domain and thus available every hour.

Is it possible to implement such a method with WRF, or should I always start my nested runs on the hours ?

Thank you very much for your help
Bastien

Bastien,
One option is that, you may run ungrib and set the time interval to 3 minutes. ungrib has the capability to interpolate data to the time you specify. This will give you input data for ndown run. Please try and let me know whether it works for you.