Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

WRF Stops Prematurely if adaptive time step is used (RESOLVED)

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

Wonderful! The adaptive timestep is working again. I made the changes listed on the code commit you sent which fixed the problem.
Thanks so much for your help! It is much appreciated!

Pouya,
That is great! Thank you for your patience, and for testing a few things out, and for updating the post.

Hi,

Sorry to reopen this resolved topic, but I am having exactly the same issue and wonder if anyone found other solutions? I am using the latest version of WRF, which already includes the fixes listed here: https://github.com/wrf-model/WRF/commit/b71e0a837626d3809ec6. I've tried using Pouya's fix, and adding the line
Code:
elseif ((tmpTimeInterval .LE. dtInterval) .AND. (time_to_bc .GT. 0.0)) then
in the adaptive timestep script. I'm running idealised WRF and have also tried adding interval_seconds to the namelist, as this helped a colleague with a similar problem. Is there anything else I can try?

Many thanks,

Emily

Hi Emily,
Can you attach your namelist.input file and let me know which idealized case you're running? Can you also attach your runtime output file (e.g., rsl.out.0000)? Thanks!

Hello everybody,

same issue here.
I am running the latest unmodified version of WRF (HEAD at tag: v4.3.2).
After restart: WRF finishes early but is claiming Success.

I am testing different boundary layer schemes,
and ysu and 3dtke run fine,
(so far, but they are still running)
but for sure the bl mynn (option 5) finishes early.

I attached namelist.input and rsl.out.0000
I deleted all lines starting with "Timing for main" from rsl.out.0000 to decrease size.

Thanks in advance :)
Sincerely,
Mares Barekzai

Attachments

• namelist.input
    10.9 KB · Views: 16
  • rsl.out.txt
    10.9 KB · Views: 14
Mares,
Would you please take a look at this PR and let me know whether it addresses your problem? Thanks.
https://github.com/wrf-model/WRF/pull/341

Mares,
Since you are running the latest version of the code, the bug fix pointed out is already in the code and therefore wouldn't address your issue. Are you running a real-data case, or an idealized case? Thanks.