Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Error when real.exe performs vertical interpolation

jrevier

Hi,

I am currently trying to run a simulation using HRRR Reanalysis data for my initial conditions.

To create my met_em files, I am using the hourly hrrr.prs data set for my intial conditions. I used the Vtable.HRRR.bkb (from Brian Blaylock's Github Page) to ungrib the hrrr.prs files. After that I ran metgrid.exe and had no issues.

I am currently running into an error when I run real.exe. My speculation is that there is an issue with the vertical interpolation calculations. This error came up after adding sfcp_to_sfcp = .true. in my namelist.input file to avoid a sfcp calculation error in real.exe. The error it is returning is as follows:

-------------- FATAL CALLED ---------------
FATAL CALLED FROM FILE: <stdin> LINE: 6121
pal, linear is about as low as we go
-------------------------------------------
-------------- FATAL CALLED ---------------
FATAL CALLED FROM FILE: <stdin> LINE: 6121
pal, linear is about as low as we go
-------------------------------------------

I have never come across this error, and I have yet to find any documentation about this error. Does anybody know what this error is referring to or how I can resolve it?
I have provided the a real.log file that contains the real.exe output and namelist.input file.

Thank you,

-Jared

Attachments

• namelist.input
    3.7 KB · Views: 3
  • real.sfcptrue.log
    11.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
UPDATE:

Using debug_level = 150 I have traced the problem to the calling of HALO_EM_VINTERP_UV_1_inline.inc in real.exe after the eta_levels and thicknesses are determined.

Still searching for a solution.

Last edited:
UPDATE:

So the hrrr.prs input data I was using was from 2016. I decided to grab hrrr.prs data from 2021 and run through the same process. I had no issues running real.exe with the 2021 data and I was able to get a simulation going.

Would anybody be able to explain why 2016 HRRR data does not work as initial conditions in WRF?

Thanks.

Hi,
Take a look at this older post that discusses this error and a solution to it. I'm not sure if it's exactly the same as what you're experiencing, but maybe it will point you in the right direction.